Powered Globally by: Microsoft

Social Media Week

What We’re Saying During Social Media Week: Day 4

What We’re Saying During Social Media Week: Day 4

  • NEXT:

Hi there! This is Sheldon from Sysomos back again to take a look at what the world was saying on Thursday of Social Media Week. Using Sysomos’ industry leading social media monitoring and analytics software, MAP and Heartbeat, to track all the social conversations going on around the week long event, I’ve compiled some of the interesting things that I was able to find on the 4th day.

As always, I started looking at the general mentions of Social Media Week. These were the conversations that mentioned Social Media Week with no particular city attached to the mention. These mentions also consisted of people using the overall non-city specific hashtags such as “#SMW” and “#SMW12.” On Thursday, I was able to find these general terms mentioned over 10,000 times across all social channels. This is also the first day I’ve seen the favourable sentiment rating less than 99%, but 98% is still pretty good.

I also noticed that on Thursday, the ladies seemed to be chatting a bit mote about Social Media Week than men. On Thursday I found that females made up 51% of the conversation while males made up the other 49%.

I then pulled up a buzzgraph to see what the general conversation was all about. On Thursday it appears as though a lot of the talk was coming from Toronto. I first clued in by seeing “Torontoist,” a local based blog about everything Toronto, in the buzzgraph. I then noticed that a bunch of Social Media Week Toronto’s sponsors were also showing up in the graph, like “BMO,” “Rdio,” and of course, “Sysomos.” We can also see there was some interesting conversations going on about “tweets,” but my eye was most caught by the word “ghostwriter.” There seems to have been a conversation around whether social media can be done by someone behind the scenes while someone else or a company claims it as their own.

Next, I started to dig into some of the buzz coming from individual cities. I started off in Washington DC where I found a wide range of interesting conversations happening with a political feel. Firstly, I found a conversation about using “social media” “strategies” in the “nonprofit” sector. There was also another conversation that specifically focused around creating a “hispanic” voice through social media in the US. One other thing caught my eye. There seemed to be a conversation about hairy animals, some of which may no longer exist. However, when I looked a bit further into the words in the buzzgraph I found that they were actually talking about event venues, the “Wooly” “Mammoth” Theater and “Buffalo” Billiards.

I then looked across the pond to see what London was talking about on Thursday.Here I found that a lot of the talk focused around two interesting events. There was a large event that was put on by the “BBC” which focused around the upcoming London “Olympics” and “socialmedia.” The second was talking about London Fashion Week. While it itself didn’t show up in the buzzgraph, I found that a lot fo the words I did find were connected to it. For example, “Aurasma” is a really interesting looking augmented reality browser that will be used to bring posters, advertisements, magazines and other media to life for Fashion Week.

In Tokyo it was a bit harder for me to get a handle on the conversation. This was because half of the conversation I found was in English, but the other half was in Japanese. Most of the Japanese threw me off as the words were too common, like “ら” which means “from,” or “加” which means “addition.” One Japanese word that interested me was “加” which means “augment.” I found that Japan was also talking about the future of augmented reality and how we can use it. We can also pick a few social networks like “Tumblr” and “LinkedIn” out of the conversation to know that platforms seemed like an important part of the conversation that day.

Meanwhile, in Miami, “fashion” seemed to be the topic of the day. We can see the conversation stemming from “FABB,” which was a large event focused around talking fashion and social media. Topics seemed to range from “blogging” to “beauty.” The main part of the event seemed to focus around a large “roundtable” discussion.

Now let’s take a look at the activity levels from each city for Thursday:

Hamburg

Hong Kong

London

Miami

New York

Paris

San Francisco

São Paulo

Singapore

Tokyo

Toronto

Washington DC

That’s all for our look at day four of Social Media Week. I’ll be back again to see what people were saying on Friday, the closing day of Social Media Week.


Want more?


Comments


Related