What The Social World Has to Say About Our Hosts: Hamburg



Social Media Week is a leading news platform and worldwide conference that curates and shares the best ideas and insights into social media and technology's impact on business, society, and culture.

Hey there! This is Sheldon from Sysomos back again. As a lead up to Social Media Week I’ve been using Sysomos’ industry leading social media monitoring and analytics software, MAP and Heartbeat, to see what the social universe has to say about our host cities. This time, I’ll be looking at what people are saying about Hamburg, Germany.

I started my exploration by pulling up all the mentions of Hamburg over the past six months. In that time I found Hamburg mentioned in 207,016 blog posts, 433,100 online news articles, 170,578 forum postings and 247,446 tweets.

I then trended those mentions of Hamburg out over time. When I did that, I found something that I don’t usually see and haven’t seen in any other host city. The mentions of Hamburg in online news happens way more than in other social channels. Usually, Twitter is the channel where we find the most mentions of anything, but here we can even see points where blogs mentioning Hamburg out number tweets.

I then pulled up some geographic information about where all the mentions of Hamburg were originating from. Again I found something interesting. Only three countries were mentioning Hamburg enough to show up individually in the chart. The first is, of course, Hamburg’s home country, Germany (63.4%). The other two countries that were the United States (15.7%) and the UK (3.5%).

Next I pulled up a buzzgraph to see what all the talk surrounding Hamburg was. The talk that I found seemed quite interesting though. While I don’t speak German myself, it didn’t make much sense to me. The contents of the buzzgraph seem to indicate that people are talking a lot about making and buying cheap medicine in Hamburg. The words were things like “medzin” (medicine), “rezepte” (recipes), “ausverkauf” (sale), “billig” (cheap) and even “rezeptfrei” (without prescription).

I then took a deeper look into who was talking about Hamburg. When I dug into see who was creating the blogs mentioning Hamburg I found that only 37% of those blogs were written by females. On the other side of that, the other 63% were written by males. I also found that younger bloggers aren’t talking about Hamburg too much as only 9% of blogs that mentioned it were written by bloggers 20 years old and younger. The majority of blogs talking about Hamburg were written by the next generation though. 40.9% were written by bloggers between the ages of 21-35.

When I looked at the categorization of these blogs mentioning Hamburg I found something that didn’t quite seem to match up though. While young bloggers didn’t seem to be talking about Hamburg, I actually found that the second largest industry category of blogs mentioning it were student blogs at 12.9%. The largest industry category I found was communications blogs which accounted for 19.3%.

Next I dug into the Twitter chatter. Here I found that more women seemed to be mentioning Hamburg a bit more with the females now accounting for 41% and males the other 59%. I then looked at the Twitter accounts that were mentioning Hamburg the most and had higher than average authority scores. Here I found that the Twitter account mentioning Hamburg the most is actually an account that lets people know about fun and interesting things going on in Hamburg called @qype_hh (21.45%). I also found quite a fair amount of accounts that advertised jobs in Hamburg like @Renego_Jobs_DE (5.59%) and deals like @hamburh_markt (10.88%).

Lastly I looked into some of the larger activity spikes around Hamburg I found in the popularity graph. I started with the largest spike on the graph which occurred between November 14-18. In this spike we can see that there was a great deal of mentions coming from the news, but blogs and Twitter also seemed to spike, just not as high. Again here I found a theme of talking about selling things like “medizin” (medicine) “rezepte” (recipes) for “billig” (cheap) “rezeptfrei” (without prescription). If anyone speaks better German than I do (which is probably anyone that can speak German at all), please feel free to leave your insights on this buzzgraph in the comments section for me.

The second spike I decided to investigate happened between August 19-24. During this spike online news still seemed to be the main driver in conversation, but we can also see that in this spike Twitter mentions almost caught up with the news. When I investigated further into this spike I found that it had a lot to do with the German national football (soccer) league. In the buzzgraph we can see the word “Bundesliga” which means something to the affect of federal league (or nation-wide league). We can also see scattered throughout the buzzgraph names of football players like “Rajkovic” and names of different cities with teams around Germany like “Cologne” and “Bavaria.” Again, while I can’t read German myself, I believe that this spike was caused by either a very important game, or the start of their 2011-12 season.

Well, that’s all for my look at what the social media world is talking about in terms of Hamburg. I’ll be back with a Sysomos look at our last city, New York, the original home of Social Media Week, soon. After that, we get into the highly anticipated festivities of Social Media Week!

Newsletter Subscription

Get the latest insights, trends and best practices from today's leading industry voices.

Watch SMW Live

SMW Insider is a premium video platform that streams more than 180+ hours of talks, presentations, and interviews from leading industry experts.

Subscribe Now

Write for Us

Interested in sharing your ideas and insights with the world? Become a SMW News contributor and reach 300k readers each month.

Apply Here