The Future of Content Marketing: Protips from Percolate
Social Media Week is a leading news platform and worldwide conference that curates and shares the best ideas and insights into social media and technology's impact on business, society, and culture.
This post was written by Brittany VanBibber
The content marketing revolution is here — well, at least according to Percolate co-founder James Gross. Today at Social Media Week’s ENGAGE stage, executives from some of the world’s biggest brands like IBM, Facebook, Tumblr, LinkedIn, Smirnoff, and MasterCard spoke about trends in content marketing on and off social media.
“We’re living through amazing changes in tech and marketing. How are we going to allow this to change how we do our jobs and how we live our lives?” said Gross during his kick-off speaking session.
Later on, he passed the torch off to his co-founder Noah Brier, who went over the seven essential components for content marketing. In case you missed out, here’s the roundup:
- Audience: who your customer is. With new tech, get data and insights on who those people are and what they do.
- Trigger: that flash, idea, or moment that guides the content that’s being produced.
- Brand: this is the voice and tone of your company. Content shouldn’t go out that doesn’t tie back to the brand objective.
- Category/topic: you speak around a set of topic area that track back to the brand. When you create content you think about what category it fits in.
- Campaign/event: how we as marketers plan into the future.
- Business objective: tends to get left out of the building blocks. Engagement isn’t a business objective, but it’s what we have to work with. Understand how this will tie back to leads.
- Platform: where content lives. “They are like fingerprints, each one is unique. They have their own style, speed and audience,” said Brier. Understand what works best on the various platforms and where they are expanding.
Brittany VanBibber is a senior at NYU studying Journalism and Economics. She is also shamelessly addicted to coffee and social media. You can find her on Twitter at @BritVanB.
Brittany is one of our SMW Press Corps members, managed by OpenCommunications. Learn more here.
Watch SMW Live
SMW Insider is a premium video platform that streams more than 180+ hours of talks, presentations, and interviews from leading industry experts.
Write for Us
Interested in sharing your ideas and insights with the world? Become a SMW News contributor and reach 300k readers each month.