The Future Is Now: Student Journalists at Social Media Week
Social Media Week is a leading news platform and worldwide conference that curates and shares the best ideas and insights into social media and technology's impact on business, society, and culture.
This post was written by Andy Morris.
The way we communicate is changing every year, sometimes every month. Think about it. Not so long ago you emailed. Then you texted and used Facebook. Now, you Instagram and Snapchat.
We live in a multi-screen age of hyper-connectedness. A society of cell phones, laptops, tablets, and other devices. This enormous shift in communication is happening right here, right now. So, who could possibly be better to capture this enormous, disruptive innovation than our youth — those who will shape our future communication?
I’m proud to announce the Social Media Week Press Corps, an initiative in partnership with Crowdcentric Media that draws emerging journalists and enthusiasts of digital technology from top-tier institutions across New York City, including Columbia, NYUm and Baruch.
Graduates, current college students, and high school students from the tech-for-youth nonprofit, MOUSE, have been selected to record the stories in social media.
This year’s Social Media Week 2014 theme, The Future of Now: Always On, Always Connected, will include in-depth discussions, demos, and interviews from some of the greatest minds in social media. The SMW Press Corps will cover sessions including:
- + 20/20 Vision: Your Life Just Six Years from Now
- + The Intrinsic Nature of Games as Social Entertainment
- + Collaborative Economy: Reinventing Our World Through Sharing and Business Innovation
- + Finding An “Always-On” Video Strategy for Brands to Engage Consumers, Presented by Unruly
Our SMW Press Corps students will interview digital media visionaries, participate in Twitter discussions, record Vine videos, take pictures and present their perspectives on Social Media Week via the SMW Blog. We welcome these students to be a part of the zeitgeist of human connectivity.
Meet Our SMW Student Press Corps:
- + Alejandra De Lecea is a Fordham grad currently studying Digital Media Marketing at NYU and interning at the European Union Delegation to the United Nations. You can follow her on Twitter @adelecea.
- + Brittany VanBibber is a senior at NYU studying Journalism and Economics. She is also shamelessly addicted to coffee and social media. You can find her on Twitter at @BritVanB.
- + Chantal De Soto is a digital media student at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism. You can find her @Sol_Chantal.
- + Claire Meyer is a senior at New York University studying Integrated Communications, Media, and Web Programming. Follow her on Twitter at @CMeyer4.
- + Joe Geoghan is an associate producer with the Shorty Awards and the Director of Marketing with the Student Net Alliance. Find his thoughts in 140 characters or less via @joegeoghan.
- + Oghene Oyiborhoro is a native New Yorker. His involvement in Social Media Week was borne of his interest in digital and tech leaders of tomorrow. Oghene is a student at Columbia Graduate School of Journalism, graduating in May. You can follow him on Twitter Oghenetweets.
- + Vivian Nunez is a senior at Baruch College studying marketing and journalism. Follow her on Twitter @vivnunez.
- + Winston La is a senior at IN-Tech Academy and a member of the MOUSE Corps program for three years. He likes tinkering with various gadgets and odd news. Follow him @winstontla.
- + Zainab Oni is a senior at Hudson High School of Learning Technologies who will be attending University of Virginia in the fall. Zainab has been a member of the MOUSE Corps program for four years. Follow Zainab on Twitter @McMotherboard.
Andy Morris is the CEO of New York-based OpenCommunications, a multimedia content-creation and PR company. You can follow him on Twitter @andymorris and @opencommsomni.
Headline Speaker Announcement
Bestselling Author and Entrepreneur, Seth Godin to speak at Social Media Week New York on May 2
Watch SMW Live
SMW Insider is a premium video platform that streams more than 180+ hours of talks, presentations, and interviews from leading industry experts.
Write for Us
Interested in sharing your ideas and insights with the world? Become a SMW News contributor and reach 300k readers each month.