11 ideas for using Twitter for business
Social Media Week is a leading news platform and worldwide conference that curates and shares the best ideas and insights into social media and technology's impact on business, society, and culture.
Easy tips for using Twitter for business:
- Point out interesting things in your space, not just about you.
- 3rd party clients like Tweetdeck and Twhirl make it a lot easier to manage Twitter.
- Twitter can help direct people’s attention to good things.
- Learn quickly to use the URL shortening tools like TinyURL, bit.ly and all the variants. It helps tidy up your tweets.
- Share links to neat things in your community. (@wholefoods does this well).
- Don’t get stuck in the apology loop. Be helpful instead. (@jetblue gives travel tips.)
- When promoting a link ask a question or explain what’s coming next, instead of just dumping a link.
- Ask questions. Twitter is great for getting opinions.
- Use direct messages for 1-to-1 conversations if you feel there’s no value to Twitter at large to hear the conversation (from @pistachio).
- Commenting on others’ tweets, and retweeting what others have posted is a great way to build community.
- Twitter gives your critics a forum, but that also means you can study them.
(Excerpted from Chris Brogan’s “50 ideas on using twitter for business”)
Want to write for Social Media Week?
We're looking for individuals around the globe to contribute articles on marketing, media, technology, and more.