11:00 AM - 12:30 PM
Hosted by HACEY Health Initiative
American Corner in Lagos
The Barack Obama American Corner
Ovie Brume Foundation
29, Gafar Animashaun Street
Off Molade Okoya street, Ajose Adeogun
Victoria Island, Lagos
#STOPVAG: CONNECTING VOICES AGAINST GENDER BASED VIOLENCE
#StopVAG is an online campaign by HACEY Health Initiative under the Hands Up For HER program – a program aimed at promoting the Health, Empowerment and Rights of girls in Africa. #StopVAG engages individuals, and social actors on the causes, effects, and ways through which we can eliminate violence against girls in Nigeria. It is geared at mobilizing community participation in eliminating Violence and Abuse of Girls.
The event, “#StopVAG: Connecting Voices Against Gender Based Violence“, will provide an opportunity for participants to share their experiences on eliminating violence against girls and how they incorporate the use of social media in achieving their goals. The event provides an opportunity for participants to learn about the different tools that are used for online campaigns, advocacy and education on issues of gender based violence. It will also explore the success and challenges of using social media as a tool for gender based violence prevention. This event is suitable for individuals, groups, nongovernmental organizations, funders and government bodies working on gender or girl issues.
The event will also focus on the use of the internet and social media to reach target populations by identifying effective strategies and platforms. This discussion will take a look at the #StopVAG campaign and the #BringBackOurGirls movement and the role the internet played.
The event aims to achieve the following:
- Promote the #StopVAG campaign
- Create a larger network of people who use the internet (especially social media) to share information about gender based violence
- Identify effective strategies by appraising existing online campaigns and knowledge sharing.
Participants will learn:
- How to leverage on multiple platforms to reach target audience
- How to move from social media to physical action
- What the most effective tools for online advocacy and awareness creation are
Our guest speakers are:
- Dr Joe Okei-Odumakin– Executive Director, WOmen Arise for Change Initiative
- Barr Titi Akosa– Executive Director, Center for 21st Century Issues
- Ms Rashmi Singh – Executive Director, Gender and Diversity CARE India
- Ms Bukky Shonibare– Chief Executive Officer, 555 Consulting Limited
The event will also be streamed live on the following platforms: