Social Soundbytes: Social Media Week LA Kicks Off
Social Media Week is a leading news platform and worldwide conference that curates and shares the best ideas and insights into social media and technology's impact on business, society, and culture.
Social Media Media Week LA went live at io/LAand the historic Egyptian Theatre September 24 – 28, 2012. We’re excited about what this conference means for the growth of communication, interaction with each other and the organizations that we care about. Troy Carter — Lady Gaga’s manager — packed the house. Mobile Roadie, ParkMe and our Social Media App were the apps of the day. Great thoughts. Great minds. Here’s a roundup of what they said:
- “There’s a battle for the living room and the internet is literally swelling and encroaching on mainstream TV.” ~ Betsy Moyer @BetsyKCRW
- Data is the new oil, especially when you start thinking about challenges at a global level. ~ Freddie Laker @TMTYL
- Celebs will dominate social media in a way that brands will never. Key to those interactions is that they’re organic. People understand that brand is ultimately trying to sell a product whereas if I wish someone a happy birthday, that’s real. ~ Omar Epps @omarepps
- “It doesn’t matter if you’ve got 25 million followers, it’s only if you can get those followers to do something.” ~ Darren McColl @daz_mc
- Never underestimate the importance of a room full of people…Being disruptive and challenging the existing norm is important. ~ Adam Garone @movember
- I’m little monster #1. ~ Troy Carter, Atom Factory
- Authenticity is the name of the game. ~ Rick Sorking @whosay
- We can be funny. We can be sexy and we can keep layering those identities. That’s the wonderful thing about Facebook and social media. ~ Jamie Adler @PhyllisMorris
- You want the ROI on social media? You being in business in 5 years. ~ Scott Kramer @multibrain
If you want to be ahead of the curve, you’ll join us for Social Media Week February 18 – 22, 2013 in New York, Hamburg, Tokyo, Toronto, DC, Milan, Paris, and Singapore, with Atlanta and Doha.
Want to write for Social Media Week?
We're looking for individuals around the globe to contribute articles on marketing, media, technology, and more.