Social Soundbytes: Real Time
Social Media Week is a leading news platform and worldwide conference that curates and shares the best ideas and insights into social media and technology's impact on business, society, and culture.
The morning session on Day 4 of Social Media Week LA started with a show of hands of how many people watch television with a connected device. Most of the hands in the room went up. Not as many for how many watch with two, but the big message today is that real time conversations and the devices people have them on will change our consumption of entertainment going forward. It’s a new Hollywood which is exactly why Jerry Seinfeld, Tom Hanks and Larry King have taken their entertainment brands online. Big insights drive big engagements. Here’s how:
- 80% of likes comments and shares come from 20% of the people. ~ James Malins @adconion_direct
- There is no social without mobile. ~ Beverly Jackson @thegrammys
- Respect the channels and you have to respect how people get to that channel. ~ Beverly Jackson @thegrammys
- We look for every single employee we have to be like a Frankenweenie, to be their own brand…Our social media policy is do what makes sense. ~ Graham Kahr @zappos
- If someone told me three years ago, I would be working on a hashtag strategy, I would have laughed at them. ~ Andrea Harrison @190East
- It’s tough to derive an ROI for teaching your company to use instagram but we don’t think there is a downside in making your culture more connected. ~ Graham Kahr @zappos
- Social marketing is a privilege. Not everyone gets to do it and not everyone gets to do it in the way we do it here. So it’s our responsibility to do it right. ~ Robyn Yoslow @nokiaus
- “I love television. It’s been my bread and butter but I don’t see a tremendous future for it based on the shift.” ~ @zuiker
- The brands have become the new studios because they put in the money to make this happen. ~ Shira Lazar @shiralazar
- It seems ridiculous to me that we would have pre-scheduled television programming and movies that go in, out, gone when we have these devices sitting in our pocket. ~ Anthony Zuiker @zuiker
- Kids 20 and younger don’t even know what tune-in TV is. ~ Sarah Penna @severshed
- The new generation of audience watches what it wants, where it wants and whatever brand it wants. ~ Steve Woolfe @blip
- If you can price people’s passion appropriately, there is a paid model that can be there. ~ Allen Debevoise @machinima_com
If you want to be ahead of the curve, you’ll join us for Social Media Week February 18 – 22, 2013 in New York, Hamburg, Tokyo, Toronto, DC, Milan, Paris, and Singapore, with Atlanta and Doha.
Want to write for Social Media Week?
We're looking for individuals around the globe to contribute articles on marketing, media, technology, and more.