When do we collect your personal information?
You may provide personally identifiable information (“PII”) to us in the following ways:
- by registering as a Member
- by subscribing to our newsletter
- by sharing personal information when you post comments on our blog posts, such as your email address or Twitter handle
- by contacting us through our Get Involved page, or by emailing us at one of our email addresses listed on the Site, like our Contact page
- by providing us information through third party service providers, for example, registration software such as Eventbrite or promotional partners such as Thrillist
In addition to PII, we may also collect non-personally identifiable information (“NPII”) from Users when they visit the site.
What personal information do we collect?
Depending on the portion of the Site and Service that you interact with, PII we collect may include your:
- full name
- email address
- mailing address
- profile photo you submit
- Username or login IDs for Twitter, Facebook or Linked-in
- Company, job title, industry, gender
NPII we collect when you visit the Site may include:
- your IP address
- your approximate geographic location
- the operating system you are using
- the Internet browser you are using
- the Web page you requested to visit
How is my personal information used?
Depending on the portion of the Service and Site that you have subscribed to or interacted with, we may use your information in a number of ways:
- If you choose to subscribe (opt-in) to our newsletter, we will send our periodic newsletter to the email address you provided us. Members can opt-out of our newsletter at any time by clicking the “Unsubscribe” link that is present on every email at the very bottom of the newsletter.
- The email address that you use when contacting us through our Get Involved page or one of our email addresses listed on the Site (such as on our Contact page) will not be used for any reason except for responding to your inquiry.
- From time to time, we may organize contests and other promotions. If you share information with us directly or through one of our third party service providers, we may use the email address you provided in order to notify you of the results
- We may use your NPII to monitor Site usage trends and improve the User experience
Who else has access to my personal information?
Below are the privacy policies of some of our third party service providers:
- Disqus http://docs.disqus.com/help/30/
- Eventbrite http://www.eventbrite.com/privacypolicy/
- Amiando http://www.amiando.com/legal/privacy.html
For the majority of our events, we use a registration system that does not require any personal registration data to be shared with a third party provider. However, from time to time, we or our partners use registration systems that do share your personal registration data with the system provider (such as Eventbrite).
We use the third party provider DISQUS in order to allow you to comment on our Site by using your pre-existing Twitter or Facebook accounts. Despite certain DISQUS communications to the contrary, we do not get access to your email address nor do we have any access to or control over your personal data or private information when you use your Twitter or Facebook account to comment on the Site.
Below are the privacy policies of some of the other third parties who may indirectly provide services to us:
- Google http://www.google.com/intl/en/privacy/
- Facebook http://www.facebook.com/policy.php
- Twitter http://twitter.com/privacy
- Foursquare https://foursquare.com/legal/privacy
If you register to attend a particular event in a particular city, and if the law permits, we may share your PII with: (a) our local organizing partner for that particular city; and (b) the event host who organized that particular event; however, we will not grant permission for those parties to share it with anyone else.
What about cookies?
You can program your computer to warn you each time a cookie is being sent, block third party cookies or block all cookies. However, by blocking all cookies you may not have access to certain features of the Service.
How do I edit my personal information?
Click “Edit Profile” to edit your personal information. While most of the information in your profile can be edited, many of the fields are required in order to complete the modification to your profile. Also please note that you cannot change your username.
How do I delete my Membership account?
If you would like to delete your Membership account, please send us an email from the email address that is associated with your Membership account at email@example.com. Please let us know your username in that email, so that we may complete your request accurately.
You should be aware that it may not be technologically possible to remove each and every record of the information you have provided to us from our servers. The need to back-up our systems to protect information from inadvertent loss means that a copy of your PII may exist in a non-erasable form that may be difficult or impossible for us to locate.
How secure is my personal information?
We use commercially reasonable administrative, technical, personnel and physical measures to safeguard PII against loss, theft and unauthorized use, disclosure or modification. However, we cannot completely guarantee the security of PII. Although we make commercially reasonable efforts to protect your PII from loss, misuse, or alteration by third parties, you should be aware that there is always some risk involved in transmitting information over the Internet.